Helping to sell your parents’ house is stressful. The Seniors Real Estate Specialists network recently released 9 important tips to help your parents downsize. Read the full report by Elyse Umlauf-Garneau here: August 2014 SRES Consumer Newsletter US Edition
9 Ways to Help Your Parents Downsize
1. Identify the legal challenges you need to resolve to sell the house.
2. Gather a complete, up-to-date list of all the home’s repairs, appliances, heating & cooling systems, warranties, etc.
3. Find a Realtor who really understands your parents’ market and the unique needs of 50+ buying and selling.
4. Location, location, location is essential to the needs of 50+ individuals. Will the area be accessible when your parents can no longer drive?
5. Are there still things in the area that your parents can easily access to have fun? Quality of life is important.
6. There isn’t a “one-size-fits-all” solution. Many seniors do not want to live with other seniors in a 55+ community. What do your parents want out of a community?
7. Help your parents make the decision. Weigh in with your opinions, but let them decide.
8. Be gentle and respectful when deciding what objects will make the move and what will not.
9. Have your Realtor outline a clear timeline for your parents on the various steps in the selling process.